Since the founding of The Catholic University of America (CUA) the study of Scripture has been one of its foremost disciplines. Throughout its history CUA has worked alongside other organizations, like the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine and the Catholic Biblical Association to create a uniquely Catholic scholarly community. This online exhibit draws on the materials housed in the American Catholic History Research Center and University Archives to document the history of Biblical studies in America.
The leading proponent of a national Catholic university was the Rev. John Lancaster Spalding (pictured below) who in 1877 was appointed first Bishop of Peoria. Spalding envisioned a university that would train American–born clergymen and combat prejudice against Catholics by creating a truly excellent national intellectual center.
This aerial view of the campus ca. 1890 shows the pastoral setting of the university not long after its founding in 1887.
Historic Images: Vanished Buildings of The Catholic University of America
This digital collection consists of images of structures that once stood on the grounds of The Catholic University of America (CUA). Supporting text from a variety of sources provides facts, figures, and first hand accounts that place the structures in their historical context. Important people in the history of these buildings are also introduced.